Royal City News CITY BEATS
This beat could include:
• launch and progress of City initiatives, ie. Tree planting, renovictions, diversity etc.
• key motions at City Council Meetings
• activists working to create change at city level
• principal complaints at council meetings
• Interviews with Councillors/Mayor on timely issues
• Work of Business and Economy group
• Work on Vulnerable Populations group – homelessness, etc.
• Covid related issues for City
• Transportation issues
• work with other levels of government
• and more
POLICE, COURTS & FIRE
This beat could include:
• police interventions, arrests
• police safety information
• community concerns re: police
• police and racism
• police and well-being calls
• unsafe areas of the community
• fires in community
• fire safety information
• fire special events, festivals etc.
• Court cases of public interest
• Jury duty issues
SOCIAL SERVICE ORGANIZATIONS
timely messages of local organizations, for example, those involved in:
• addiction recovery
• food security
• international aid
• mental health
• learning issues
• racial/diversity issues
• finding employment
• and others
The reporter would look at organizations key missions, timely issues, fundraising events etc.
• Brunette River and pipeline & salmon recovery, fish hatchery
• environmental cleanup and rehab initiatives
• habitat destruction, including trees on home properties
• eco-gardening, community gardening and indoor veg growing
• Fraser River issues
• Teaching children ecology, outdoor education
• Toxic release – from fires, pipelines, drains etc.
• Climate change planning
• City initiatives with respect to climate change (also can be covered by City Hall reporter)
• Availability of car chargers
• Habitat or plant loss
• Farmers Market
• lowering energy use – bicycles, home reno etc.
• Impact of Covid on fossil fuel use in New Westminster
• and more
• impact of Covid on a range of businesses, including restaurants, store fronts, home businesses, child care, dog training, hair and nail workers, industrial and commercial outfits etc.
• Government response to business needs, strengths and weaknesses
• What is the Chamber of Commerce doing to help NW businesses
• How business have pivoted for the 'new normal'
• Business 'winners' in Covid Times
• Business education for Covid Times – where and what and at what cost
• Business cooperation in Covid Times
• Customer reluctance in these times
• and more.
RCH HOSPITAL, RCH Hospital Foundation, Fraser Health communications, Paramedics, Family Doctors
• impact of second wave on RCH hospital and workers
• support needed – RCH Foundation
• facts and figures on opoiod overdoses, deaths, the same for Covid
• When should you go the Emergency in these times
• What to do if you don't have a family doctor
• What slips through the cracks if you don't see a doctor in person.
• How can we support hospital staff.
• Paramedic issues
• Health worker union – concerns
• Patient issues, complaints
• the new Mental Health and Addiction bldg
• the state of mental health help
Stories that show the diversity of people who live here –
Features on people from many places..how and why they came here, including:
• New immigrants and refugees
• First generation immigrants who came earlier – eg. Hungarians
• People who have been here for generations but are sadly still considered to be “from away”
current and historical
• Reconciliation – what is being done or not done – land for Kakeit? nation
• Move to remove images, names of people who played a negative role in First Nations' history, eg. Move to take down Begbie statue, to change name of Richard McBride school
• First nations issues in New West today – access, treatment
• Appropriation issues
• First Nations and the arts (overlap with arts beat)
• language issues
(visible and invisible)
• accessibility issues
• safety issues
• living difficulties
• social assistance
– Elementary, Secondary, public and private institutions, such as Urban Academy
• Issues in school: key parental concerns, PAC? Meetings, internal concerns of school
• Budget Issues
• Foreign students
• School Board issues
• Special Needs students
• School Accomplishments (Sports, Arts, other)
• Teacher concerns
• Teaching and Accrediting in Covid Times
• Violence in Schools
• Social Media use concerns
• Students from low income families – fulfilling needs
• Racism – faculty and student training
• Parental and Teacher Issues re: Covid
• Homeschooling via internet
• Homeschooling program developed in New West – Hume Park, widely used.
• Incorporating refugee students
• Celebrations eg. Old school demolished, new school opens
• Outdoor programs for children
• Community initiatives to help children and youth – eg. Grad dresses, Youth Drop-In etc .
• individual artists surviving in the time of Covid
• Art Council initiatives & fund-raising
• Craft fairs
• Arts Conferences
• Massey Theatre – what's up?
• MT Functioning in the time of Covid
• Galleries – what is happening, where
• 100 Braid Street demolition, where go the artists, loss of historic building
• Anvil Centre and the arts – Is it serving the community
• Festivals in the time of Covid
• Selling art in the time of Covid
• Performing arts – impact of Covid- music, musicals
• Children and the arts
• Seniors and the arts
• Arts cooperative and clubs – photo club, New West Artists Coop,
• The Literary arts – local accomplishments, festival?, poetry groups
• Anvil Theatre
• Anvil Studios
• businesses that teach the arts
HEALTH AND WELL-BEING
• flu shot availability in New West, also availability of high dose shots for seniors
• other inoculations recommended for seniors and vulnerable populations
• Anti-vaxers in New Westminster
• Safe walking in New West – connect with Walking Caucus
• safe biking in New West – what City is doing, problem areas
• safe biking practises – police
• electric bikes – how safe? How to buy?
• Danger areas at night – police, safe practices in walking alone
• bemefits/concerns re: alternative therapies
• Boucher Naturopathic School, Massage School
• Yoga – what type for who?
• Individual stories of people creating personal well-being
• mental heatlh issues in time of Covid – tips to control anxiety and depression
• Seniors and activities
This area is fraught. I don't want it to deviate too far from scientifically proven treatments.
PARKS & RECREATION AND SPORT
• What is opening up now (Covid issues)
• Local sports teams – secondary school and adult (overlap with student reporting)
• Profiles of well-known sports 'heroes'
• Keeping fit through casual sport – how and where, eg: curling, badminton, walking clubs....
• Various sport facilities, businesses etc
• Progress on new pool
• Queensborough sports and rec.
• Lacrosse – what is the history here
What's happening at the Library?
• New books
• New movies & Cds
• Various groups there, teaching English, book club
• Impact of Covid
• Exhibits there
• Children's programs
– New West Secondary, Douglas College, other?
The students will provide reports of items of interest at their school providing the student perspective
• learning issues in Covid Times
• help for disabilities
• protests re: tuition, other
• Student Council work.
• Finding summer and post-grad jobs
• Stories of individuals with particular accomplishments, or concerns
• Racism in schools
• Student events
• and more